CAIS At A Glance
Who We Are
- CAIS is a 501(c)(3) non-proﬁt organization founded in 1941.
- At the time of its founding in 1941, CAIS comprised just 21 schools. We now serve nearly 100,000 students in more than 235 independent non-proﬁt elementary, middle, and high schools throughout California.
What We Offer
- An ongoing cycle of accreditation, training and support to independent K-12 schools throughout California.
- Professional development, networking, resources, and solution-driven guidance to member school heads and trustees.
A Snapshot of CAIS Schools
Independent, Nonprofit Institutions
- CAIS schools are ﬁnancially and structurally independent of government, shareholders, religious groups or other external organizations.
- An independent school is free to act in students' best interest, without signiﬁcant inﬂuence from outside sources.
A wide range of missions, sizes, approaches, cultures, affiliations and programs
- Over 235 schools to meet diverse needs
- School sizes ranging from 30 to 2000 students
- Secular (non-religious), Catholic, Episcopal, Jewish, and Muslim schools
- Language immersion and international schools
- Traditional and progressive approaches
- Supporting all types of learners, including gifted and special-needs students
- Urban, suburban, and rural locations
Environments that Prepare and NuRture Students
- CAIS schools provide strong academic and co-curricular programs, preparing students for college and beyond.
- CAIS schools know and nurture each individual student in tight-knit, caring, and goal-oriented communities.
Communities that Embrace and Celebrate Diversity
- All CAIS schools oﬀer ﬁnancial aid; together providing over 430 million dollars in ﬁnancial aid each year.
- Our schools include 42% students of color, 36% teachers of color, and 20% heads of color with a shared commitment to inclusion, equity, and belonging.
CAIS independent, nonprofit schools are held to high standards, ensuring that each school can fulfill its unique mission. We assess six key areas:
- Instititional Purpose and Core Values
- Teaching and Learning
- Financial Sustainability
- Operational Purpose and Core Values
- Institutional Stewardship and Leadership
- Institutional Improvement and Sustainability
CAIS Member Schools
Data on this page comes from the database of the National Assocation of Independent Schools.